Sunday, April 11, 2010

Texas Hill Country Trip- Boerne, TX

I just realized that I never blogged about the trip the BF and I took to the Texas Hill country in December 2009. We had a blast! At one point, the BF even told me that if was the best trip he had ever been on (which just tickled me pink!). I put a lot of effort into planning this trip and it paid off. The BF specified that he wanted to stay in the small towns where we would walk to dinner, rather than stay out on a ranch. That helped to narrow down my planning. We had 4 nights, and we spilt that into 2 nights in Boerne and 2 nights in Fredricksburg.

On Friday morning we loaded up the Envoy and started our trip down to Boerne. The traffic around Austin & San Antonio was HORRIBLE! We were really glad when we got to Boerne after the 5 hour drive and saw the little town. I think I fell in love at first sight with the cute little downtown area. Shops, shops and more shops! And to boot, they had an arts fair going on right across from our hotel. We stayed at Ye Kendall Inn, which is the oldest hotel in town and right in the middle of everything. I upgraded us to a Garden Court Suite, which was way worth the extra like $15. It was clean, and the bathroom was new! Two things that are very important to me.


The first night we walked to the Dodging Duck Brewhouse, and it was delish! We had the beer sampler which was great because I like to try new beer, but I usually can't drink more than a few sips. I tried their Sausage, but my favorite thing was the side of warm Bavarian Potato salad. Mmmm...I could eat that every day. It also came with a pretzel and some cheese!
The next morning before our next adventure, we went to Bear Moon Cafe for breakfast. I had read many reviews of this place, and it did not disappoint! They had a hot breakfast buffet, which sounds gross...but everything on the buffet was yummy! Including biscuits & sausage gravy, which oddly enough I don't think I had ever had...and now I dream about them. The BF was also happy because they had oatmeal and some healthy options. I would recommend this place! Just get there early, because this place fills up quickly.
For our second dinner, we choose Tin Roof Steakhouse on the recommendation of the staff at Ye Kendall Inn. I thought it was going to be a little stuffy or expensive, but I was wrong! The decor was neat, it had great prices, and a business casual feel to it. Both the BF and I got pasta dishes and we liked them. To top it off, we got Bread Pudding for dessert!! Yummy!

In addition to all the food and the great hotel, I did some shopping (surprise, surprise, right?!). The main street in Boerne is just lined with these cute little boutique shops. I got some great Fall decorations that were on sale, some Christmas gifts for my Mom, and two cute scarves (which are my new obsession). There were actually too many stores to recommend my favorite. You can't go wrong just going into every one of them! The only thing I did not find was a great piece of art. I love to buy art when I travel, but in Boerne I could not find any for a decent price.
Overall, Boerne was great! I would come back again...and really hope that the BF and I do...soon! I still need to post about Fredricksburg, Lost Maples Park, Pedernales Falls Park, and Enchanted Rock to finish off our trip :)

No comments:

Post a Comment